With all of my re-recording finished it was finally time to export my audio files! It was a very exciting moment but still a tedious one. Part of working with my father is that he loves to teach as he goes. That meant while I would much rather be catching up on some market research I’m huddled over his computer screen listening to him go over every detailed step of his music editing software and how it processes my voice to be turned into my glorious audio book. No harm no foul considering one day I may need the knowledge to create a truly DIY audio book.
Finally with all my files edited and converted to the proper format it is time to upload it! I chose to use Audible.com to distribute my audio book. I uploaded each file individually and once completed, clicked submit for their final review. The website says it will take 10-14 business days to review my files to ensure their quality and that I will be notified immediately of any faults. Let the waiting games begin!
Lessons Learned Day 6:
Listen and Learn- If your sound tech/engineer/whoever is recording is willing to teach you the tricks of the trade, GO FOR IT and be GRATEFUL!
Be prepared to wait- It seems I spent more time waiting than recording during this whole process.
In the beginning, when I gave myself two weeks to record my audio book I hadn’t given a thought to the long editing and publication process. I thought it would take the whole two weeks to finish getting one recording from the beginning to the end of my book. However, since Day 4 was so productive, Day 5 in the studio I finally read the last paragraph. At least I thought I had. Silly me!
Major setback, SNAFU, WTF moment. The version of my book I had recorded turned out not to be the final version of my book as published! I know you are probably thinking, “How in the world did you not know/notice that?!” Well to answer your question. This was my first book ever published and I self-published it with absolutely no clue what I was doing initially. So the book had undergone many, many updates the last and most polished of which only had a few changes, mostly formatting changes, made to it. So while the majority of the story is the same, I may have switched around a paragraph or two. On top of that, I had split my chapters up slightly different in the final version than the version I recorded.
Lucky me these changes could easily be made without too much additional recording since I had the forethought to record in paragraphs instead of long sections. The fix was just a matter of moving around a few audio files and adding a couple minutes more of narration. Still the process is time-consuming and currently ongoing.
Lessons Learned Day 5
Make sure you are recording what you meant to record- It’s seriously embarrassing and extremely costly both in time and money (if you are paying a producer/voice actor) to go through what I am going through now.
The first thing I needed to decide was how to produce my audio book. As I mentioned in my previous post, a professional producer and voice actor are pretty expensive. It’s one of the major factors in the high cost of audiobooks in comparison to their print and digital counterparts. Narrating my own work cuts out one cost but the cost of the equipment necessary to make a professional audio file can be just as expensive as hiring a producer. Not saying it can’t be done, it’s just a lot of upfront cost on top of my already meager budget as a self-published author. My saving grace, Big Swang Productions. A small, one man, basement operation with impressive credentials and very reasonable pricing.
With that figured out, my biggest issue was time. My whole audio book needed to be finished within a short two-week deadline and with only two-ish hours a day of recording time. Most would think that is plenty of time, to put it in perspective, it took me two hours just to get oriented with the recording space and record my opening credits and first paragraph. Once I caught on to how things worked the process sped up drastically. Overall, day one in the studio went okay. I was a little nervous and it took me a good ten minutes to relax and not sound too much like an automaton while recording. Who knew reading words could be so hard?
Lessons Learned Day One:
Have water or tea nearby- After take thirty your throat will feel like sand paper without it.
Be prepared to repeat everything until its perfect
Pronunciation and Annunciation are key- Meaning to say Claude but hearing Cloud and/or Clot can and will happen
Wear comfortable clothing and shoes- The more comfortable and relaxed you are the easier it is to focus on your performance
Have a plan/goal- Record your book in sections just as you wrote the book. It’s easier to edit by paragraph or chapter than it is as one long audio track.
This post has been a long time coming at least in the blogosphere (I’m pretty sure that’s a word but my spell check says otherwise). I’ve been really MIA on posting for the past two months. I can say it is all a combination of being super motivated to get Claude’s Conquest ready for publishing (sill not even close) and other writing side projects, but mostly just blatant laziness and I dare say a touch of outside world interference (mandatory trips to see my parents and helping my sister move). Then to add insult to injury my brain has decided it doesn’t want to make sense at all so even when i have the time and I remember to log in, all I manage to put down is a bunch of rambling nonsense. Kind of like now…lol. So please, all the people I think actually read my blog I promise to be more diligent in my posts and not just cute pictures of my sidekick although those are sure to come. Oh and Claude’s Conquest is still set to be out on Amazon by December but in the meantime if you haven’t checked it out already the first book in the Maura’s Men series Xander’s Claim is available now, only 99cents on Amazon.